I have the account of Mark Daniels. I have the account of Joe Benson. I'm looking for Ezenwa Ogbonnaya and M2 Ventures Limited ... That will make 3 UK electronics recycling companies who were tried in the press.
In Part 1, as well as the "Sodom and Gomorrah" blog, we traced the outrage and arrests back to two men, Jim Puckett and Mike Anane.
- That Agbogbloshie was a very large e-waste dump... perhaps "biggest in the world"
- That the Odaw River was a pristine, green African "Eden" just a decade ago, "teeming with fish"
- That the lead in the soil at the dump does not come from automobiles, but from dumped electronics
- That 80% of the electronics shipped to Ghana are "junk" and the other 20% "fail after between 2 and 6 months"
- That most of the work done at Agbogbloshie is by children, orphans, under age 18
- That the majority of workers at AGbogbloshie die of cancer in 2 years.
Well, well, well... this is the information that was recited by Anane and Puckett at an Interpol meeting I attended at EPA offices in Arlington VA in March 2010. Puckett and Anane were introduced by the UK's Environmental Agency head, Lord Chris Smith.
These horrible "e-waste facts" were also recited to Raphael Rowe of BBC in "Panorama".
If half of the "e-waste facts" were half true, it would indeed be understandable that the Environmental Agency prosecuted Joe Benson, Mark Daniels, and Ezenwa Ogbonnaya for dumping - or rather selling - used electronics to Africa's Tech Sector.
But the accusers, the prosecutors, never met anyone in Africa's Tech Sector, did they?